Friday, February 03, 2006

Staging


I remember when Bill Clinton used to come to Albuquerque and hold large public events that every one could attend. While I was still Mayor, President Clinton came for several rallies. The Mayor's Office was asked to help coordinate the events and my staff, Connie Beimer, Luisa Casso, Brian Morris, Julie Hicks and Theresa Trujeque did a great job. They worked closely with the secret service and advance teams to make sure the public had good access to see the nation's leader.

Clinton's last rally here was scheduled just after the Monica Lewinsky story hit the press. I was really worried that the scandal would hurt attendance at an evening Civic Plaza event in Albuquerque. I was totally wrong about that as well over 10,000 folks showed up and wildly greeted the President. It was a wonderful evening spent with an intelligent man who was our leader. Americans love seeing their President up close and personal. Clinton would always go to the crowd and shake the hands of his constituents.

Flash forward to 2006. President bush comes to town and makes no real public appearances. Just a stop for red chile at El Pinto. You might get a glimpse of him in his armored limo as he and the convoy pass by. He and his handlers have become so paranoid that they can't even have an event where more that 200 handpicked participants can be there. Everything at these appearances is so staged that it actually ends up hurting bush's credibility.

I predict this man will become more and more isolated over the next three years. When he finally ends his term one can only wonder if anyone will be there to wave goodbye. Oh, wait....I will be there celebrating with what might actually be a big crowd come to think of it.

2 comments:

Derek Bill said...

I'll be joining you in that crowd, along with at least 50 other people I know. Just thinking about it makes me want to weep with joy and relief.

soyChapin said...

Count me in for the party!
This will be a GOOD bye.