Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Team Member with a Whip

This is Jessica Christiansen. She is my boss. Well, during the dreaded 'call time' anyway. Jessica is my fundraiser and she is pretty good. Now, what is this 'call time thing?' It is every candidates nightmare is what it is. This is where a strong willed and competent person like Jessica chains you to a desk and supervises your phone calls to potential donors. Nine out of ten candidates hate this process with a passion usually reserved only for puppy abusers. They will think of every excuse to get out of this. They will slash their own tires and then call in and say they have a flat! Well, you get the picture.

I am sort of getting used to it. I did it extensively in my Mayor's races and you get to the point where rejection isn't that big of a deal. You just go on to your next call. When you do get someone who is eager to send money then the whole day seems worth it. This 'call time' is useful even if you don't get much money because people generally will tell you what is on their mind and that is good for any politician to hear. I will be doing at least ten hours of call time a week until June and it will really be the main source of fund raising for my campaign. So far I have logged about ten hours of call time and am very happy with our efforts.

Now, Jessica's message to you all is to send a check to Jim Baca for Land Commissioner, PO Box 7514, Albuquerque, NM 87194.

No comments: