Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Misc

My daughter called me last night and from Chandler, Arizona and said that the people at MTV were browsing around MySpace.com and found her profile. They asked her to audition for one of the shows on their network and she did so last night. They will call her in a week or so to let her know if she will have her fifteen minutes of fame.She thought it all was pretty amusing and said if she gets picked it will be worth it for the weekend festivities in L.A.

I had never really looked around the MySpace website. I was really astonished at the amount of information that people put in there about themselves. It sort of makes the federal government's spying on its own people kind of easy.

On another matter, I had the opportunity to have coffee with a couple of city councilors in the last week and they independently have said the same thing. They say that the Mayor has pretty much checked out of his policy role at city hall and that he is spending most of his time traveling. I can't blame him much. After his last six years of being Mayor he has to be in shell shock. It is a tough job and baggage always mounts. His recent spats with the council show his growing frustration. I really don't think he will be running again for this job. The city budget is about tapped out with six years of double digit increases that both he and the council let get away from them. It may be coming back to roost soon. The ten or so people who will run for Mayor will face what I did in 1997 after Mayor Chavez' first term, a busted budget after double digit increases for four years. They won't be having much fun as this city faces severe cutbacks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does your daughter do that MTV is interested in, and how would they dress her? Could it threaten her job as an engineeer?

Karen Fayeth said...

MySpace is kind of crazy. I'm always shocked at what people put out there. I read an article recently that recruiters will do a search when they have a prospective candidate. There are people who *didn't* get the job because of what they have on their MySpace (and others). I think a lot of people don't really understand just how "public" the public internet really is.

Also, I have a good friend who is a Minor League baseball player. Pretty good pitcher, he is. I am continually SHOCKED at what various women post on his site and what they say...publicly. Wow.

Good luck to your daughter! She's *beautiful* by the way!!

Anonymous said...

I guess the next mayor will suffer the same job/feelings as the next president. Under bush, it comes down to, "Oh, there was an actual budget? I thought they were talking about budgies or the national bird or something."

Spending outta control? Oh well, he's outta there after his years of mismanagement/spending.

Worst. President. Ever.

Your daughter is gorgeous. I hope she has a great time! :)