Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Staples

I just completed my yearly dance with Turbo Tax.  I am getting money back this year because of credits for installing three kilowatts of Solar Voltaic Panels on my roof.  Even after that we would not have owed any additional taxes to the Feds or the State other than what was withheld.  This is wrong.  


We did not pay enough income taxes.  Yes, I really feel that way.  You could put our annual income last year in the upper middle class and we should  have paid more in taxes but the congress and state legislature have no 'huevos' to do the right thing and rescind bush's and the state's income tax breaks.  What do our lawmakers in Santa Fe propose?  Reinstating the food tax to include staples such as rice and wheat flour.  That is unconscionable. Inflicting a regressive tax on the poor while letting the well to do off with no rise in income taxes.  It is immoral at best and I can't believe the legislature will do it. 


 Stranger things have happened though.  What is next?  Taxing children's vaccinations?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last time I checked, it's governor richardson who is adamantly opposed to signing any bill to tax the rich.

Anonymous said...

Comrade baca, you are more than welcome to pay more income tax. I think there is a box on the return form to do that. Although I suspect you are one of those liberal elite hypocrites, i.e. al gore, who preach to the rest of us about how we should act.

Anonymous said...

What do you bet that after the party in the Roundhouse, Large William will either a) disappear in pinstripes on K Street in DC, or b) take over the state's flagship educational institution where he and his buddies will continue to bleed taxpayers, students, faculty and staff and drive the institution further into irrelevance. My bet is b, 'cause even K Street is tough for a machine politician these days. President Guillermo, now that has a ring to it. Buckle in for a ride!

Derek Bill said...

Sure are a lot of anonymous people around here. Perhaps they should be uniquely numbered so we can be sure they're not the same person.

I wonder how many 'conservatives' who rail at being told how they "should act" turn around and vote for candidates who support laws that tell other people how to act. Unless they're pure Libertarians, that argument is hypocritical. The same guy who doesn't like being told how his money should be spent is perfectly happy telling someone else how to act when it comes to drugs, prostitution, and gambling.

Also, it's been my observation that most conservatives were born into privilege, and spend the rest of their lives trying to act like they've worked their way to success. As Galbriath said, "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

Anonymous said...

Dear Derek,
I don't know if your remark about anonymous postings was directed my way, but you obviously aren't employed in the public sector. Otherwise you'd know why many of us need to post messages anonymously. The level of vindictiveness by our 'leaders' (right and left) is matched only by their greed. If I didn't depend on a paycheck from the bureaucracy they oversee (and micromanage, to settle political scores), and had ready access to the courts as you do, I'd post my name all over the blogosphere in NM. But sadly, I have to protect my family. I share you views absolutely about conservative hypocrisy, by the way. Hypocrisy in all of its forms is ugly, conservative or not. Thanks for the post!

Mike Blessing said...

If you're happy and you know it, shake your chains

If you're happy and you know it, shake your chains

If you're happy and you know it and you really want to show it

If you're happy and you know it, shake your chains