Friday, September 17, 2010

Rotten Tomatos?

We all knew it would happen.  The political campaigns for Governor in New Mexico are grinding down to one big rotten tomato throwing contest.  I don't watch much TV news anymore in the Albuquerque market because it is so pathetic.  But watching last night I was astounded at the vile TV commercials.  Admittedly, the campaigns do them because they are effective and so it really is the gullible public who is to blame.  But still we are asking our candidates to be leaders and what we get are attacks on non issue items.  The ads are highly inaccurate and misleading but they will have some effect.


However, when it comes to non rotten tomatoes no one can do much better at growing them than my wife Bobbi.  We have had probably 75 pounds come off the vines and are still bringing them in.  I like eating whole raw ones like an apple because they have such great taste compared to what you get in the stores.  Some go in salads and recipes but most are slow roasted for six hours after being bathed in olive oil, onions, garlic, salt and pepper, fresh basil and rosemary from the garden and some oregano.  You then heat the outdoor grill to 250 degrees and leave the tomatoes there for six hours.  They come out like sun dried tomatoes and you bag them and freeze them for the worlds best pasta sauce base. Great all winter long.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Yum! Your description made me salivate!
Ahhh... the end of summer and the harvest of chile, corn, and tomatoes.

Perfect combos.

Mega said...

Is it true that running negative adds is most effective at reducing turnout of the opposite party, rather than actually increasing votes for one's own side? I thought I heard that from some PoliSci at UNM.
I too have tomatoes coming out of my ears. I will have to try roasting them. I have heard that freezing them whole also works wonders.