Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Radio Daze


All the action seemed to be on the radio today. My opponents nasty radio ad, and it is a doozie, had people calling us all day. I finally heard it this afternoon and it is really pretty mean spirited, but that is what you have to put up with when candidates get desperate. I can only figure my opponent has a new poll that shows him slipping.

This ad was a topic of discussion on the Jim Villanucci show. A friend called and said they were talking about the ad and that I should call in to comment. I did, even though I hadn't heard the ad except for second hand accounts at that point. The ad says I am against the Bill of Rights because I sued to keep concealed weapons out of Albuquerque after the Legislature passed the bill. This law was passed when I was Mayor and our Police Chief and other law enforcement officials were not too happy about it. We lost the suit. That hardly makes us against the bill of rights or gun ownership. I own a lot of firearms. I got my first .22 caliber rifle when I was 8 years old. It stood beside my bed for years until I went into the Air Force. (P.S. Did my opponent ever serve in the military?)

Anyway, after I got off the show my opponent called in and said I was going to keep all hunters off public lands by taking away their guns! Come on Mr. Lyons, last time I checked that wasn't part of the responsibility of the Land Commissioner. The real threat to hunters is Lyons. Remember when he tried to trade away Whites Peak to a political contributor. That would have left a lot of northern New Mexico Hunters without the best hunting grounds in the state, unless they had $10K to give Lyon's buddie for a private hunt.

Lyons also said he had charts showing that Land Office revenues dropped when I was Land Commissioner for two terms. That is true, but that was due to the price of oil and gas plummeting. If he blames me for that then I guess he is to blame for $3 a gallon gasoline and the high revenues at the land office now. I will ask him that tomorrow night.

This is the way it will be for the next 48 days. If you want to see us Land Commissioner candidates in action, just come to the Unitarian Church tomorrow night in Albuquerque at 7PM for a two hour debate between us. The Church is at Carlisle and Comanche. It should be a hoot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in Albuquerque for the fair and listening to the radio when they played the spot and when you responded. Good response. I thought you put them straight and ole Lyons was sputtering with his response. Keep up the good work. We nee jim Baca in the Commissioners office.