Friday, May 01, 2009

Good Government

I get really fed up sometimes with people who say government is worthless and should be pared down to nothing. In george bush's case he set out to 'strangle the beast' by putting the country into debt and funding an unnecessary war. He wanted less government in the long run. You could see the results in the response to Hurricane Katrina.

Now we are facing this swine flu issue. I don't know whether it is being over hyped or not. I do know that I feel a lot more comfortable with the current administration's understanding that government can do good.

I read a fascinating account of how Mexico responded to this current public health crisis in the Wall Street Journal. A lot of countries can take some cues from Mexico's professional and effective work on protecting its people.

No comments: