Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dust

There was an interesting story in the Journal today where folks lamented that there was an increase in dust storms in the west.  It is true especially with the current long term drought.  But there was little mention of the contributing factors to all of this particulate roaming around in the atmosphere.  Might that be overgrazed public lands in the desert west and the millions of tons of tailings piles where no living thing can grow to hold down those polluted piles?

Look here to see how the livestock industry has used their political whining to keep down grazing fees. No president from Clinton to Obama has taken on the cowboys because they fear fighting the 'John Wayne' image of these welfare ranchers.  Yet the damage they are doing to western landscapes continues to grow.  No, I am not heartless and do feel bad for the economic condition out on the range. But maybe this whole model of desert grazing needs to end for the good of the planet.

So, the next time a piece of Arizona blows by your house, remember some portion of that is coming from ranching in the desert.  And that those responsible are using your tax dollars to do it.

2 comments:

Craig K said...

I lived in NM for over a decade, then moved to CA. I return often for business and recreation. Earlier this month I was caught in a major dust storm between ABQ and SF, from just south of San Felipe all the was to the top of La Bajada. I drove that stretch hundreds of times between 1995 and 2006 and never saw anything like it.

Craig K said...

I lived in NM for over a decade, living in ABQ and working in SF. I moved to CA in 2006. I return often for work and recreation. A few weeks ago I was caught in a major dust storm from just south of San Felipe to just north of La Bajada. I traveled that stretch hundreds of times between 1995 and 2006 and never saw anything like that. It is clearly getting worse.