Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Hispanic Demographics

The Pew Hispanic Center is a wealth of information.  I wonder if anyone who is pushing the wedge issue of drivers licenses for undocumented immigrants have thought about looking at it.  Especially when one sees that foreign born latino immigrants account for 30 percent of all immigrants.  That is a sizable number.  But who are the other 70 percent and why are they not being singled out?  Well, they are Asians and Africans and Europeans.  But the push on this licensed legislation seems to be aimed at brown people from south of the border.  It is unsaid and not mentioned much.

I have to agree with Senator Eric Griego's comments this morning in the Journal that this issue is 'sucking the oxygen out of the legislature'.  It is meaningless and divisive and Governor Martinez and her republican campaign manager who is now on the state payroll deserve some criticism.  They need to learn how to unite and lead for everyone.  Thank heavens the New Mexico Senate in trying to bring some sanity to this issue.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

As some Republican politician once said: "It's the economy, Stupid."

These right wing Tea Party backed politicians only understand waving "red flags" to get some ind of knee-jerk response. They will make temporary gains but lose the war, IMHO.