Sunday, April 15, 2012

Beauty and the Beast

I marvel that everyone gets upset over the slaughter of horses but not steers.

I think it all comes down to one animal being pretty, and therefore more lovable, and the other being ungainly and ugly and therefore good to eat.  It is just a peculiar way humans categorize things.

I have always thought cows, with their big brown eyes, were kind of cute.

One time a classmate at Our Lady Fatima school in the fifth grade wanted to trade my bologna and cheese sandwich for his hamburger.  I made the deal and then after devouring the burger he told me it was made from horse meat.  He was Canadian.  I was freaked and got over it quickly.  I have never partook of horse meat again.  Can't say the same for beef.

We have cut our beef consumption by 90% in the last four months and I don't miss it at all.  Also, in my quest to lose weight it has been a big help.  I hit the 20 pound loss mark this week with the help of weight watchers online.  I feel pretty good and I am having to buy new clothes.

No comments: