Friday, January 09, 2009

Human Terms

Unemployment is up to 7.2%. That is a statistic that those who have jobs look at and shake their heads. But few spend much time considering the angst of the people in that boat. Despair is the real word here. I have been in that boat a few times in my life where I thought I would lose everything and that my kids would be living in some run down apartment complex rather than a comfortable home. It is a miserable feeling in which self doubt, panic and inability to relax are constant.

This is happening to a lot of people right now and I wonder how we can help. I am in a position to donate money to non profits that can help, but not many can do that. I would like to see some leadership from political leaders on getting real help to these people. Not just money but hope and friendship can mean a lot. Neighbors helping neighbors. I see little leadership in the media and local government for setting up such a program. How about it Mayor Chavez, County Commission, and others? Could the neighborhood associations help with this? Has anyone thought of this?

No comments: