These days we can assume that when the TV stations cover the lawmakers it will be about personalities or the outrageous happening of the day, rather than something really important. Here are some suggestions from an old time broadcast journalist for coverage this year.
- Find out if any committees have followed the impact of the tax cuts for the rich that the Governor and Legislature enacted last year and if not, why not.
- Ask and report on the costs of private prisons for the state of New Mexico and if they have any positive impact on recidivism. Should private prisons who require prisoners for profit stay in business in NM?
- Find out if the legislature is interested in mimicking any of the great best practices of other states in innovative programs in government.
- Ask the leadership of both houses if they would support legislation limiting the use of surveillance drones by both law enforcement agencies and private sector concerns. (This could be called the backyard hot tub bill.)
- Who will sponsor a bill to stop the practice of forgiving gross receipts taxes on newspapers in this state since most publications are nothing more than large conservative corporate p.r. machines.
And then if this doesn't scare you, nothing will.